Powered by Blogger.

Review: EB Advance Lip & Cheek Tint


When I first started getting into makeup four years ago, and again earlier this year, I was a bit of a snob. I grew up with sensitive skin my whole life, and the word "cheap" followed by cosmetics always made me squeamish. I've had many-a rashes and negative reactions due to their formulations, and so for almost two decades I associated price with quality and figured I'd rather break the bank for something I can trust that won't make me break out or damage my health beyond repair, over something more affordable in the mean time but would hurt me in the long run. My refusal was born out of fear that I'd mess up my already sensitive skin or that prolonged use of products (as I'd constantly been warned growing up) would result in breakouts or even—God forbid—cancer. In hindsight, I can see how ridiculously privileged I had to be to think those things, and I will be the first to admit that if I knew my past self now, I'd want to whack her in the face, but times are a-changing. Or rather, they've been changing.

Given the rapidly growing beauty industry, local brands have also been catching up to the game and rethinking not only their marketing strategies but also their product lines and formulations; I think now more than ever, brands are conscious about not only their target market but also how they're perceived by the public and how well their products perform. Careline's rebranding to meet both the needs and wants of this current generation is indicative of that. More local brands are also offering us high-quality products for less, and the broke college student in me is rejoicing. Gone is the snob who overlooked drugstore products (good riddance!), much less local ones (internalized colonial mentality, anyone?); in her place stands a prouder, more adventurous lover of all things beauty and local. I could go on endlessly about the connection between the growth of my appreciation for my identity as a Filipina and love for beauty, but then that'd be a story for another time.

I've said all this as an intro to my review of EB (Ever Bilena) Advance's classic lip & cheek tint in Very Red. Now I know I'm late to the game and this has been a staple in much of everyone's makeup bags probably before I even knew what it was, but I've had a few friends and Instagram followers ask me for my thoughts. I never thought I'd one day be so thrilled to be standing in front of an Ever Bilena stall (for many reasons that present-me is ashamed of), and yet...

Without further ado, here are my thoughts.

Scroll to the bottom for a quick summary, in case you're at the store and in a hurry!

Product info

Price: ₱165
Where to get:

  • Lazada
  • Watson's 
  • Beauty sections of most department stores
  • Almost anywhere to be honest? Hahaha


Ingredients

WATER, GLYCERIN, SOLUBLE LANOLIN, TRIETHANOLAMINE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE,CARBOMER, METHYL PARABEN, PROPYL PARABEN, FRAGRANCE, CI 45410

First impressions

I first found out about this through a Youtube video and have been curious ever since, but not so curious that I was itching to go to the store and try it out. I was drawn in by the semi jelly-like feeling when I finally tried it, but while buying, I noticed that Careline and Ever Bilena (and not EB Advance) also had their own version of a jelly tint with the same color and similar packaging (Careline's is smaller and cheaper by around 40 pesos). Just how different they were, though, I wasn't so sure. Initially I was confused and hesitant because I felt like they just repackaged it and sold it at different prices given that they came from the same mother company, but regardless, I liked how it looked and how easily it applied, and it was the first one I tried so I settled on it before trying Careline's.

My initial impression was that it was a lot redder than most of my blushes (I usually go for muted pinks or peaches) and during my initial haul, I left it out in order to afford things I wanted more. But you can best believe I was clutching this product all the way to the cashier, the back of my hand sporting a particularly reddish tint. After eating, I wound up inside a Watson's, where I was greeted by the tint yet again. I looked to my boyfriend, who knew what was going to happen next.

I caved (I swatched, I caved, I was conquered?).

I think that alone should tell you how curious and excited I was about this product.

Product claims
EB Advance Lip and Cheek Stain is a makeup tint used to add color to your lips and cheeks. This is a two-in-one product that gives that ‘just bitten’ look on your lips and that sun-kissed flush on your cheeks. It is also enriched with Vitamin E that helps keep moisture on the skin for a rosy, natural glow.
They hardly claimed anything crazy so I would have to give them all the points for fulfilling their product's intended purpose and fulfilling it well. I guess it only goes to show that under-promising can also lead to less disappointment on the part of your consumers, which is my issue with a lot of brands marketing their product as The Next Best Thing™. I won't be surprised if, in the future, some brand starts selling a lipstick that they'll market as something will magically do all Adult Me's taxes for me, or reverse my aging like the secret to Benjamin Button. But I digress.

At least on me, this tint gave the promised sun-kissed flush I would always get when I was a kid playing outside or dancing and all, and it also makes my lips look a little more alive (if I wore a true-to-life nude lip, it would probably be a shade that was a mix of beige, grey, and a muted dark mauve). It's perfect for no-makeup-makeup looks and it's not drying. No flaky lips here!

I will admit, however, that there was a sensation present on my lips I couldn't quite describe while wearing it, but I think I just get that way when I wear tints in general on my lips because I rarely do. Almost like a thick, wet feeling. I know that sounds weird but I can't think of how else to describe it. After some time, it started to feel hot, almost like a reaction or like I got stung by a weak bee, so I'll have to take points off for that one. However it might also just be because I used wet wipes to remove it, so please take that into consideration.

Packaging

It's really simple, but it gets the job done. The elongated cap, I feel, is to control how much product is released. I don't have much to say about the label either, because it's not so special either that I feel the need to comment on it. This is a product where it's more about the actual product than the packaging; it's the underdog in your makeup bag that goes by unnoticed by the popular kids but is actually really stinkin' cool.


Formula

It has a lightweight gel-like consistency that leans towards the more watery, less viscous side. I noticed that it had a candy-like scent which might put some people off. It makes me want to lick my lips more often but you guys, there's no flavor so don't bother!!!! I tried it for you so you didn't have to. You're welcome. LOL

However—and this is a big one—it's formulated with parabens. Cue horror music. But fear not, friends, for I asked a friend who majored in Bio Chemistry if they were truly horrible cancer-causing chemicals present in our makeup and the verdict? "Not harmful unless the synthesis and storage don't meet the profile of paraben stated on the MSDS (material safety and data sheet)." In case there are more science-minded folks reading this, she linked me to this open chemistry database to aid, inform, and—for less science-minded folks like me—maybe confuse. But if this was a research paper, there's that reference for ya!

Wearing it on my cheeks
Application

It's easy to apply and a little goes a long way. It's pigmented enough but also applies on pretty sheer so it's easy to build up to the intensity you want. It's hard to get wrong, and perfect for the popular drunk blush look everyone seems to be sporting these days (I like it but I can get that way if I drank so much as one bottle or worked out for longer than five minutes LOL).

It spreads out evenly, but I did have to add a bit more to the outer corners of my cheeks so it wasn't so concentrated on the apples. You can use the excess on your fingers by dabbing your finger lightly across the bridge of your nose, connecting it to your cheeks for the aforementioned subtle drunk blush.

Wear

I first wore it on a school day and was pleasantly surprised how natural it looked. I have naturally rosy cheeks that run in my family but due to recent lack of sleep, my skin started to look dull. This product perfectly recreated the rosiness of my cheeks without looking like I slathered a lot of product on. I wore it for around 5-6 hours and when I got home, the color was still there but not nearly as rosy-looking as it had been at first.

On a free day, I tried it on with primer and tinted moisturizer and noticed that it didn't intensify the pigmentation. It lasted about as long as it did without the base in place.

Pricing

I'm not kidding when I say it's hard to beat. It cost ₱165 for 20ml, which is approximately 20% of the total of a Benetint mini, which according to Zalora costs ₱800 for 4ml. This lip & cheek tint costs 20% of not even the full size, guys. Just let that sink in. The EB Advance Lip & Cheek Tint checks in at ₱8.25 per ml, in comparison to the Benetint mini's ₱200 per ml. 1 ml of the Benefit can get you this product and some change. I failed Math but it sure as hell makes me an informed buyer.

Shade selection

Alright, this is where the tint falls short. There's only two shades: Very Red, and Perfect Plum, which is a wine-colored plum shade as the name suggests (not so great in the creativity aspect but straight-to-the-point so it works). However, I would argue that it gets the job done so there's not much need for more shades. Perhaps an addition of orange and pink tints would round out the collection more, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Overall

This is definitely a new favorite. It has two uses and plenty of product for the price, so I'm happy with the purchase. It was definitely worth it considering how well it performs and how affordable it is, and having tried many-a tints without liking them (probably because it was in 2013 and I was just beginning to learn how makeup even worked, so maybe that's on me), it was exciting to finally have something that I could use without leaving a dark stain on my cheek where I initially blotted it. Unfortunately it has parabens which, having sensitive skin, made me slightly disappointed so when I'm old and grey and my doctor asks me why I'm in such terrible health, maybe I'll look back to the day I bought this tint. Just kidding. It's great.

It's definitely worth it, and if you're in the market for some tints, I would go ahead and get this one. If you end up not liking it, it won't be too big of a regret, but I will side-eye you for buying something without first testing it at least on your hand. Just kidding again, but don't do that. Be an informed buyer. Don't be fooled by a stranger shilling products on the internet, even if they're me. Heh.

Summary

This is a classic lip & cheek tint made by local cosmetics brand, Ever Bilena. It's a simple, unassuming tint that doesn't promise big, bold, and fancy things, but delivers and looks great for a natural rosy tint on your cheeks, and—as they put it—a just bitten look on your lips. However, it has parabens so if that's something you don't want in your skin or lips, I wouldn't get this. I did have a slight reaction when I put it on my lips in that it made it feel a little hot, which might have just been from the wet wipes I used to take it off with but otherwise, it's great. I'll probably try it on my lips some more and if it continues to feel that way then I'll just use it on my cheeks.

There are only two shades, and you get 20ml of product for ₱165, which I find is really hard to beat for both quality and quantity. Worth it, worth it, worth it.

Rating

To be fair, I will only be rating this product based on general uses and their product claims.

  • Blending: 4/5
  • Pigmentation: 5/5 
  • Staying power: 4/5
  • Application: 5/5
  • Formula: 3/5
  • Wearability: 5/5
  • User-friendliness: 5/5
  • Price: 5/5
  • Total: 4.5/5

No comments